Summer is just about here so it’s time to get into some refreshing recipes. Try out this Zucchini Noodles with Pesto & Basil recipe!
You should swap pasta out with zucchini noodles as they’re a nutrient-dense food. They contain zero fat, which can help with weight loss. They contain the necessary fiber content and are rich in various nutrients that have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. They’re also great if you’re diabetic as they can help reduce blood sugar levels.
Let’s make this your new summer meal!
Thanks Carolyn Casner @ EatingWell.com for the recipe.
- 4 medium-large zucchini (about 2 pounds), trimmed
- ¾ teaspoon salt, divided 3 ways
- 2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- ¼ cup pine nuts, toasted
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 large clove garlic, quartered
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Using a spiral vegetable slicer, cut zucchini lengthwise into long, thin strands. Give the strands a chop here and there so the noodles aren't too long. Place the zucchini in a colander and toss with ¼ teaspoon salt. Let drain for 15 to 30 minutes, then gently squeeze to remove any excess liquid.
- Meanwhile, place basil, pine nuts, Parmesan, ¼ cup oil, lemon juice, garlic, pepper and ¼ teaspoon salt in a mini food processor (or high power blender). Process until almost smooth.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken in one layer; sprinkle with the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring, until just cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and stir in 3 tablespoons of the pesto.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan. Add the drained zucchini noodles and toss gently until hot, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to the bowl with the chicken. Add the remaining pesto and toss gently to coat.